Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Monday Poetry Stretch - Englyn cyrch

If orange is the new black, then Tuesday is the new Monday! My apologies for failing to post yesterday. I got caught up in the end of summer school and grading.

The Englyn cyrch is a Welsh poetic form consisting of any number of quatrains. In each stanza, the lines are composed of seven syllables, with lines 1, 2, and 4 sharing an end rhyme. The end rhyme of line 3 rhymes with a middle syllable (3rd, 4th, or 5th) or line 4. Here's what the pattern looks like.

x x x x x x a
x x x x x x a
x x x x x x b
x x x b x x a

You can read more about Englyn at Wikipedia.

That's it. Easy-peasy, right? I hope you'll join me this week in writing an Englyn cyrch. Please share a link to your poem or the poem itself in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. It seemed so very, very real

    How she cured diabetes
    reads something like a treatise
    on the power of the mind.
    When given time it can tease

    the brain into believing
    ill or not. Perceiving
    some rather false delusion,
    pure illusion. Achieving

    while asleep, a fresh resolve
    to take charge of alcohol
    consumption and less unwise
    chomping French fries, all-in-all

    more exercise, some weight loss,
    bring order to this chaos
    she lives now unconsciously.
    A dream! Says she. O, good gosh,

    I don’t have diabetes!
    What I shall here-on eat is
    to be what is good for me.
    (My racquet please)…and tennis.

    ©jRobinson2016

    ReplyDelete